Scots dad ‘died from septic shock’ after Rome holiday B&B explosion
Grant Paterson, 54, from East Kilbride, sadly died at Sant’Eugenio Hospital on Tuesday.
A Scots dad died from septic shock days after a suspected gas blast destroyed his holiday B&B.
Grant Paterson, 54, was left in a critical condition after the horror explosion brought down a three-storey building on March 22.
The dad, from East Kilbride, suffered burns to 75 per cent of his body. He underwent an operation to remove debris from his body and skin grafts.
He was unable to recover from his injuries and died at Sant’Eugenio Hospital on Tuesday.
A major investigation into the incident remains ongoing to identify the cause of the explosion.
According to local reports, Italian prosecutors are attempting to build a manslaughter case. Firefighters and other responders remain at the scene of the blast as crews continue to search for possible triggers or gas cylinders buried under the rubble.
Grant was described as a “larger-than-life character” by his devastated colleagues at CalMac, where he was senior member of the firm’s on-board catering team.
The company’s Chief Operating Officer Diane Burke said: “Everyone at CalMac is distraught that Grant has passed away. He was a true gentleman and a credit to MV Clansman, the vessel he served aboard.
“During a distinguished 12-year career with us, he embodied the very best of CalMac and, with his larger-than-life character, he was much-loved by colleagues and passengers alike. Our thoughts are with Grant’s friends and family at this extremely difficult time.”
Co-worker Chris Gibson said: “Devastated at the news today that Grant Paterson has lost his battle for survival. RIP and fair winds. You will be sorely missed, big guy.”
Donna Williams-bale said: “Grant was a lovely man, a true gentleman. I will miss our chats whilst I’m travelling. Our deepest condolences, thoughts are with his daughter, family and friends and work colleagues. Rest in Peace Grant, you will be truly missed.”
Grant had arrived in Rome on Monday, March 17, to enjoy a solo-trip.
In an eerie post shared on Facebook after he arrived in the Italian capital, Grant wrote: “Arrived in Rome, trains planes, buses and foot. Accommodation is beautiful. This should be a good week…..if I don’t get killed in some ungodly way…. As it’s just me I’m going to sit in a different bit every day.”
Mayor Roberto Gualtieri said Rome was in mourning for Grant’s family.
Mayor Gualtieri said: “The death of Grant Paterson, the Scottish tourist involved in the explosion of the building in Monteverde, is news that saddens all of Rome. I want to express to his loved ones and his fellow citizens my personal closeness and condolences and those of the citizens. I truly hope that the investigations into the incident can quickly shed light on this terrible accident”.
A fundraiser which which had been launched to support Grant’s daughter raised over £11,500.
A spokesperson for the Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office (FCDO) said: “We are supporting the family of a British man who died in Italy and are in touch with the local authorities.”