Edinburgh armed police arrest four suspects in dawn raids amid explosive gangland turf war

Edinburgh armed police arrest four suspects in dawn raids amid explosive gangland turf war

Police raided properties in Edinburgh as part of an ongoing investigation into violent incidents linked to rival crime gangs.

Four people have been arrested after warrants were executed at five properties as part of a pre-planned operation following a series of incidents in Edinburgh
Four people have been arrested after warrants were executed at five properties as part of a pre-planned operation following a series of incidents in Edinburgh.(Image: Police Scotland)

Four people have been arrested in a series of dawn raids in Edinburgh as an explosive gangland turf war plagues the capital.

A large number of armed officers from Edinburgh and the east of Scotland, which included specialist teams from Organised Crime and Counter Terrorism, executed search warrants at five properties in a pre planned operation on Wednesday, April 2. The operation led to the seizure of several items relevant to the ongoing investigation—including a stolen Range Rover.

Over the past month, there have been coordinated attacks on gangster Mark Richardson’s Edinburgh empire. Underworld thugs put together teams who carried out gun and firebomb strikes on various locations in the city in March.

In recent weeks, two homes in the capital have been shot at – with one vicious attack taking place just meters from a school during class time. A masked thug was filmed hurling flaming Molotov cocktails into a home in Niddrie.

A chilling video was posted online, which threatened anyone with links to Richardson. Clips of recent attacks – including what appears to be the shooting on Niddrie Marischal Crescent last month – have also been shared.

We reported yesterday that the major players behind the attacks are now understood to have fled to Dubai, where it is believed the attacks were orchestrated from. A source said that were just “young lads” from the local area and were now hiding in the UAE hoping for protection.

Video screengrab of gangland hits against anyone associated with gangster, Mark Richardson

The feud erupted after a Dubai-based Glasgow hood was ripped off for around £1.2 million by one of his associates. It’s understood that Richardson, who is currently in prison, has already dispatched heavies to the millionaire’s playground in retaliation.

After the police operation on Wednesday, a 28-year-old man was arrested and charged in connection with threatening and abusive behaviour following an incident on Thursday, March 20. While a 38-year-old man was arrested and charged for reset of a stolen motor vehicle. Both are due to appear at Edinburgh Sheriff Court today, April 3.

A 34-year-old woman was also arrested in connection with a stolen vehicle but was released pending further enquiries. A 16-year-old man was arrested for reset of a stolen vehicle, various road traffic offences, and being in possession of an offensive weapon during incidents which occurred on Friday, March 7. He has been reported to the Procurator Fiscal.

Video screengrab of gangland hits against anyone associated with gangster, Mark Richardson

Police said today they believe that the firearm and fire-raising incidents may be linked to groups who are actively targeting each other.

Officers have gather intelligence around 1600 vehicles and recovered seven which had been stolen as apart of the probe. Around 2400 hours of CCTV footage are being examined and officers on patrol have delivered 500 leaflets in the community to reassure them.

Detective Superintendent Paul Grainger said: “It is imperative that we trace whoever is responsible for these reckless acts as soon as possible.

“I want to reassure the community that we have a team of detectives working on this investigation and our action today demonstrates our commitment to tackling this type of crime.

“This operation is a result of extensive investigatory work over a number of weeks and we will continue to utilise detectives and specialists from across Police Scotland as this continues.

“Disruption is just one area of our work and we will continue to use every tactic at our disposal to relentlessly pursue individuals who engage in violence within this city.

“If you have any information that can assist our investigation, please get in touch.”

Mark Richardson.
Hits have been carried out on properties linked to drugs kingpin Mark Richardson(Image: Daily Record)

Last week the family of Richardson blasted claims he is scared of being attacked amid an ongoing underworld feud. “This is nothing more than a propaganda war,” they told the Record.

Richardson is being held at HMP Low Moss, in Bishopbriggs, near Glasgow. He was caged for nearly nine years in 2018 for having a gun as part of a crime super gang. Another 18 months was later added on over a high-speed car chase with cops.

Chief Superintendent David Robertson, Divisional Commander for Edinburgh, said: “These incidents could have had much more serious consequences and I want to make it clear this behaviour will not be tolerated.

Video screengrab of gangland hits against anyone associated with gangster, Mark Richardson

“Significant enquiries are ongoing in relation to all of these incidents, and we are utilising all available resources to identify those responsible and bring them to justice.

“We will continue to carry out additional high-visibility patrols and disruption activity across the city and I would encourage anyone with any concerns to approach these officers, so we can take action.

“If anyone has information that can help with our enquiries then please contact us immediately.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Police Scotland via 101 quoting incident number 0562 of Friday, 21 March, 2025. Alternatively, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 where information can be given anonymously.

Source link